Top 10 Reasons For Chronic Chapped Lips
Attempting to determine the cause for severely chapped lips is never simple. There are various causes you will need to research, rule out and note the results. Fortunately, we compiled a list of the ten most common causes of chronic chapped lips in order to give you a starting point for identification of the culprit.
1. Excess vitamin A may be the cause behind your peeling lips. Regardless of whether the source of your vitamin A comes from whole foods or supplements, taking in more than 25,000 I.U. per day might make you want to examine this further.
2. In addition to excessive vitamin A, you may be ingesting excessive Vitamin B12. The result of this is that you develop a cobalt allergy from taking your B12 supplements and develop crusty, swollen lips.
3. Often overlooked, toothpaste is a very common cause of chapped lips. Most toothpastes contain the ingredient guaiazuline, that commonly results in a contact allergy.
4. Red dye is an ingredient in numerous common products. Items like gum, candy, mouthwash, and lozenges all contain red dye that may cause an allergic reaction.
5. Metal objects like paper clips and pocket change is a very likely culprit for causing chronic chapped lips. An allergic reaction to metal may present itself on your lips.
6. Orange juice as well as any other citrus juice can irritate your lips. Citrus can cause photo-toxic reaction that appears to be chapped lips.
7. Cinnamon flavoring can produce lip chapping. This flavoring is commonly used in gum, candy, and mouthwash.
8. Lipstick containing the ingredient propyl gallate can also cause a contact allergy.
9. Various other lip care products are worth noting when it comes to narrowing in on allergic reactions. Many contain Phenylsalicylate or salol, which is commonly the cause.
10. Excessive fig consumption can also cause an allergic reaction due to photo-toxicity.